These instructions are for the E Ink models of NOOK: Nook 3G, Nook WiFi, Nook Simple Touch, and Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.
Nook Color, Tablet, and HD models can now download 3M Cloud Library eBooks directly over wifi using the free 3M Cloud Library App for Nook.
If you have a: Barnes & Noble NOOK
You can download: Adobe ePub and PDF eBooks from RCPL’s OverDrive Collection
You will need:
A Computer (Windows or Mac), your NOOK, and your NOOK’s USB cable.
Get Set Up:
- Download Adobe Digital Editions software to your computer. (You only have to do this once.)
- Activate the software with an Adobe ID. When you connect your NOOK to your computer while Adobe Digital Editions is open, it will ask you (the first time only) whether you want to Authorize the NOOK with your Adobe ID. Confirm.
- Browse available eBooks (fiction & nonfiction) and add the Adobe ePub eBook version of a title to your cart.
Note: You will see multiple formats available for eBooks. The Adobe ePub eBook format is compatible with Adobe Digital Editions and your eReader. It is symbolized by the Icon. Make sure you add the appropriate format to your cart. Adobe PDF eBooks will work on your computer but may not be as readable on your eReader. Kindle Books will not work on your device at all.
- Click “Proceed to Checkout” and enter your RCPL library card number and PIN.
- Set desired check out timeframe and click “Confirm Checkout”
- Click “Download”. If you computer asks you what to do with the .acsm file, click “open.” Adobe Digital Editions will launch and download your eBook.
- After the download process is complete, connect your eReader to your computer using its USB cable and transfer the ebook to your Nook.
Note: To transfer your eBook you must drag-and-drop the eBook from your Adobe Digital Editions library to your NOOK within the Adobe Digital Editions application.
- Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable and open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Click the “spined books” icon in the top left corner of the program to see your eBooks listed on the right pane of the window.
- Find your NOOK in the left pane of the Adobe Digital Editions window. It should appear at the bottom of the list and may be called “media” or “NOOK”.
- Click and hold down the left mouse button over the eBook title you wish to transfer, and drag the mouse until it hovers over the “NOOK” in the left pane. You will see the mouse cursor change from a red X to a green + when it is okay to release the mouse button. Your eBook will be copied onto the NOOK.
- Safely eject your NOOK.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I transferred my library eBooks to my NOOK–where are they?
NOOK 1st Edition (aka NOOK WiFi, NOOK 3G+WiFi):
On NOOK 1st Edition, sideloaded eBooks will be placed in the “My Documents” section of the NOOK’s “library.”
To find them, tap the home button (the lowercase “n” in the black bar between the E Ink screen and the LCD touchscreen) and then select the “my library” icon on the touchscreen. At the top of the E Ink screen you will see either the words “My B&N Library” (referring to Barnes & Noble eBooks) or “My Documents.” If you see “My B&N Library” you will need to toggle over to “My Documents” by selecting the first option in the touchscreen menu, “Go to My Documents.”
NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color
On NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color, sideloaded eBooks are placed into a folder on the NOOK called “Digital Editions.” To find this folder, open the “Library” on your NOOK Tablet/Nook Color and select “My stuff” / “My files” at the top right corner.
NOOK Simple Touch and NOOK Simple Touch with Glowlight
On NOOK Simple Touch, sideloaded eBooks will automatically appear in the NOOK’s “Library”–no searching required.
Can I return eBooks early?
How do I delete expired eBooks from my NOOK?
On your computer: Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable and open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Select your device in the list on the left pane of the computer screen (it should appear at the bottom of the list and may be called “media” or “NOOK”). Now you should see your eBooks in the right pane. Click the little arrow in the upper-left-hand corner of the title’s image and select “Delete Item.”
On NOOK 3G and NOOK Wifi: select the title under “My Documents” and, instead of opening it, select “Item Details & Options.” Select “Delete” and confirm.
NOOK Simple Touch: On NOOK Simple Touch, sideloaded files must be deleted the same way they were added: through your computer. You can use Adobe Digital Editions or delete through the file system (Windows or Mac).
On NOOK Tablet and NOOK Color running the latest software: Navigate to the “Digital Editions”folder on your NOOK so that you can see the icon of the title you wish to delete. Hold your finger down on the icon for a few seconds, and a menu will pop up. Select “Delete Item.”
For additional NOOK support, see Barnes & Noble’s NOOK support page.
For additional OverDrive support, see OverDrive’s support page.