If you have an: Amazon Kindle
You can download: Kindle eBooks from OverDrive
(For Kindle Fire-specific instructions click here.)
You will need: A Computer (Windows or Mac) and either Wi-Fi OR your Kindle’s USB Cable
Instructions: Click Here for Printable Instructions.
- Visit RCPL’s OverDrive eBook collection at myrcpl.com/downloadables or jump straight to myrcpl.lib.overdrive.com.
- Browse for a Kindle eBook and check it out using your RCPL library card number. Note: eBooks will be available in multiple formats: Choose the Kindle format identified by with the Kindle Book icon.
- Click the “Get for Kindle” button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged in.
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click the “Get library book” button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it to your device via USB. (Note: Some Kindle Books are restricted by the publisher to be only available for transfer via USB.)
- An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, read Amazon’s instructions on the “Get library book” page for transferring files via USB, or click here for a more detailed walk-through.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to return eBooks early:
- To return eBooks early, log in to your Amazon account and select Manage Your Kindle under the My Account menu
- When you are logged into your Amazon account under “Your Account — Manage Your Kindle”, go to “Your Kindle Library” and view “Books” to see the list of books you have checked out. You should see a list of titles and authors of everything on your Kindle. To the right of each title field, you’ll see a grey button labeled “Actions”. If you click on the Actions button beside the book you want to return, a display of options will appear and you will see the option “Return this book”. For the book to disappear completely from your list of titles after you return it, you can click the Actions button again and select “Delete from library”.
- Click here to see the process illustrated with screenshots.
Removing an ebook title from the “Home” Screen on a Kindle Touch:
- When a title expires or when you return it early, you still see the title with “load ended” before the title on the home screen. To remove it from the Kindle Touch, you press and hold your finger over the title until a menu pops up and you can select the option to delete from your device (again this is after the title has expired or you have returned it early using “Manage Your Kindle” on Amazon).
Checkout from OverDrive and “Send to Kindle” worked on the computer, but the eBook won’t open on the Kindle:
- Check to make sure the Kindle is connected via Wi-Fi. If the Kindle is 3G-enabled by default, it may show the eBook in the Kindle’s “library,” but it will only download the contents of the eBook over Wi-Fi.
Questions about transferring eBooks to Kindle using USB: Click here for more instructions and a video.
RCPL’s 3M Cloud Library eBooks are not currently compatible with the Amazon Kindle.
For additional Kindle support, see Amazon’s support page.
For additional OverDrive support, see OverDrive’s support page.