If you have an: eReader
(These directions are for any non-Kindle eReader such as a Sony Reader, Kobo, Pandigital, NOOK, etc.)
You can download: Adobe ePub and PDF eBooks from RCPL’s OverDrive Collection
You will need:
A Computer (Windows or Mac) , an eReader, and your eReader’s USB cable.
Get Set Up:
- Download Adobe Digital Editions software to your computer. (You only have to do this once.)
- Activate the software with an Adobe ID. When you connect your eReader to your computer while Adobe Digital Editions is open, it will ask you (the first time only) whether you want to Authorize the eReader with your Adobe ID. Confirm.
- Browse available eBooks (fiction & nonfiction) and add the Adobe ePub eBook version of a title to your cart.
Note: You will see multiple formats available for eBooks. The Adobe ePub eBook format is compatible with Adobe Digital Editions and your eReader. It is symbolized by the Icon. Make sure you add the appropriate format to your cart. Adobe PDF eBooks will work on your computer but may not be as readable on your eReader. Kindle Books will not work on your device at all.
- Click “Proceed to Checkout” and enter your RCPL library card number and PIN.
- Set desired check out timeframe and click “Confirm Checkout”
- Click “Download”. If you computer asks you what to do with the .acsm file, click “open.” Adobe Digital Editions will launch and download your eBook.
- After the download process is complete, connect your eReader to your computer using its USB cable and transfer the ebook to your eReader.
Note: To transfer your eBook you must drag-and-drop the eBook from your Adobe Digital Editions library to your NOOK within the Adobe Digital Editions application.
- Connect your eReader to your computer using the USB cable and open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Click the “spined books” icon in the top left corner of the program to see your eBooks listed on the right pane of the window.
- Find your eReader listed in the left pane of the Adobe Digital Editions window. It should appear at the bottom of the list and may be called “media” or “Sony Reader,” “Kobo,” etc.
- Click and hold down the left mouse button over the eBook title you wish to transfer, and drag the mouse until it hovers over the “eReader” in the left pane. You will see the mouse cursor change from a red X to a green + when it is okay to release the mouse button. Your eBook will be copied onto the eReader.
- Safely eject your eReader.
Frequently Asked Questions:
I transferred my library eBooks to my eReader–where are they?
Depending on your model of eReader, your OverDrive eBook may be loaded into the eReader’s “library” (with all of your other books) or into a “documents” folder for sideloaded content.
Can I return eBooks early?
How do I delete expired eBooks from my eReader?
Connect your eReader to your computer using the USB cable and open Adobe Digital Editions on the computer. Select your device in the list on the left pane of the computer screen (it should appear at the bottom of the list and may be called “media” or “Sony Reader,” “Kobo,” etc. Now you should see your eBooks in the right pane. Click the little arrow in the upper-left-hand corner of the title’s image and select “Delete Item.”
For additional OverDrive support, see OverDrive’s support page.